Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...Is a Bowl of Rice?


Okay.

I have been thinking about the fact that I have been a) living in Hong Kong for three years and b) working with Koreans for one year and c) the fact that I can neither speak Cantonese nor Korean. At. All.

So, I decided to ask my Mandarin (Phutonghua) speaking friend what my name was in her language and what it meant. She told me that the translation meant "lucky rice" in English. In the words of Andy Pipkin, "I don't like it".

So then, I approached my Korean friend. I asked her what my name meant in Korean. She said that the translation meant "wall teacher". Great. So now I am a teacher of walls. She also told me that my first name meant "most fun" in Korean. That's true.
I am the most fun. Always.

My name in English means "God is good". But in French it means "I like".

Does that mean that Borat is adressing me personally when he says, "I like"?

3 comments:

The Boob Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lei Ho said...

This post is my feeble attempt at revealing my name without ACTUALLY revealing my name...know what I'm sayin'? :)

The Boob Lady said...

HA! Got it. I blew it, didn't I?